Private Ambulance Service Charges

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Private Ambulance Service Charges

I have a bill from a private ambulance service that I have proven numerous times to be paid in full. They are still sending me bills for an amount that they are trying to charge to me and 2 other insurance companies. Is there anything I can legally do to get them off my back?

Asked on July 18, 2018 under Insurance Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have essentially two options to get this before a court, since only a court can resolve this for you:
1) Refuse to pay; ignore their attempts to collect; IF they sue you, then prove in court that you paid and the court will order them to correct their ledgers and stop their collections efforts. This approach means you will likely have to put up with their harassment for a time, even if they ultimately choose to not sue or pursue legal action; may have a bad debt reported to credit rating agencies; and give the initiative to them--you won't know if or when they drop the matter (rather than suing). The advantage is that you only have to go to court if they do try to sue you for the money, and the type of defense you would mount if sued is a straightforward one--you could very reasonably represent yourself ("pro se") and not have to pay for an attorney.
2) You could go "on the offenseive," so to speak, and bring a lawsuit against them seeking a "declaratory judgment" or court determination that you have already paid and do not owe them anything, as well as a court order that they stop pursuing you for the money and do not report a bad debt to credit agencies (or if already reported, that they correct the report and provide proof that they did so). The advantage is that this puts the initiative in your hands and lets you *know* that the matter is resolved. The disadvantages are that you now definitely have to go to court, and that because asking for a declaratory judgment and a court order is more procedurally complex than bringing or defending a case for money only, you would most likely need to hire a lawyer and incur that cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption