Previous wages

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Previous wages

Can I ask a potential employee to bring in a previous paystub to verify previous hourly wage in the state of CA?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This has been one of the ongoing issues people have had with privacy rights versus rights of potential employers etc.  My thought, be careful because it may be actually considered an invasion of privacy (i.e., there are other pieces of information on that pay stub that you have no right to see or review or copy just because an applicant is applying). 

Consult with a business attorney who specializes in employment labor law:

Try and check his or her record at under attorney search.


You may also wish to contact the California Dept of Industrial Relations and pose a written inquiry to them: they may have rules and regulations and statutes concerning this very matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption