How to get pre-existing custody agreement changes?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get pre-existing custody agreement changes?

I have a pre-existing custody agreement that’s been in place for about 2 1/2 years. The agreement states that she has 1 day to see my son during the week from after school until 8 pm. Then she is to have him every other weekend. I’m looking at the possibility of moving to a different county. Although it’s only about 30 minutes from my current location I was wondering if there is anything I need to do prior to moving that would avoid any possible legal issues?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


Stephanie Squires / SquiresLegal Services

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is important to check your orders for any restrictions on moving the child's residence/school without the other parents consent.  If you have joint legal custody and your move would require your child to change schools, you need the other parents consent.  If you and the other parent are on good terms, then have a new agreement drawn up, signed and filed with the court that states that the two of you agree to the child moving and changing schools.  If there is any disagreement about your child moving, then you should file a modification and request the court order that the child is allowed to move to a new location. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption