Preconstruction purchase Release Settlement Agreement

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Preconstruction purchase Release Settlement Agreement

In 2006, I contracted on a preconstruction condo. Since that time, the developer ran into major delays, and there has been no construction progress since Jan 08.Yesterday, out of the blue, I received a Release Settlement document from the developers attorney. It states I will receive all of my down payment if I sign it. It also states the developer gets to keep the interest paid on my down payment. The original sales contract states that I get paid interest on my down payment. applied to my purchase at closing. Should I fight for my interest? It is significant to me.

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The first thing I would suggest you doing is contact a local attorney. Explain to them all the details and show them the original signed agreement. At that point the attorney can compare the original agreement to me most recent proposed agreement

If the interest is significant to you than of course pursue the matter. You may even want to call the attorney to inquire about this and express your intent to pursue the matter. maybe you can agree to split the difference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption