Pot hole

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Pot hole

I was pulling out of an establishment and
my car fell in a big pot hole Wich has
caused a lot of damage to my driveline I
think . There was a grinding sound when it
hit the hole and now it sounds like its
rattling .

Asked on March 2, 2017 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The owner of the parking lot or road (including potentially the city or county) may be liable (that is, financially responsible) IF you can show that they had actual notice of the problem (that is, people have made complaints about the pothole) and a reasonable chance (enough time, while weather permits, after the complaint(s) to have reasonably fixed it) but failed to so do. You need to show both that they knew of the problem and then negligently (carelessly) failed to correct it despite the opportunity to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption