What to do regarding possible fraud concerning my mother’s power of attorney of our father?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding possible fraud concerning my mother’s power of attorney of our father?

My sister and I just found out that our brother tricked our mother into giving up her power of attorney over our ill father. What can she do? In a nutshell he prepared a document where she gave up her powers of attorney concerning medical and financial issues where she was named as such. My brother was the alternate. Our father is ill and has been deemed not competent. Our brother is not an attorney and he did not have our mother see an attorney before she signed what he calls an “abdication” of her powers over our father. Our brother held back this “abdication” for several months.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your Mother is still alive have her revoke this document.  Bring her to an attorney now and have the matter set straight.  It may or may not take an action against your brother to set the document aside.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption