Possession of Marijuana and Paraphernalia

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Possession of Marijuana and Paraphernalia

Im an 18 year old student at the University of
Idaho and recently got caught with 2 grams of
concentrate and a dab/wax pen. There were 2
police officers who requested to come into my
room, I let them, and then proceeded to ask me
if I was high and if I was smoking in my room. I
denied both, and then denied to having any
marijuana or paraphernalia in my room. After
constant questioning over and over again, I
admitted to being high but smoking off campus,
and that the smell was coming from my
clothes. I then consented to a room search,
where they found 1 gram of concentrate and I
turned in the other gram and the pen. I
admitted they were mine since they were not
on my roommates side. I also admitted to
smoking in my room. They stopped searching,
gave me a citation slip for a misdemeanor of
marijuana possession and paraphernalia
possession, and left. What would be the next
best thing to do before my court appearance?

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Criminal Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) Retain a local lawyer who is experienced with these kind of cases and who practices in the local court(s) (i.e. who knows the local judges, prosecutors, etc.). Nothing you can do will help you as much as getting expert help from someone who knows the relevant players.
2) In the meantime, do NOT discuss the matter with anyone but your lawyer: anything you say to others can, as the old saying goes, be used against you. If the authorities want to talk to you, exercise your 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination (right to silence).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption