When removing someone from their home, what constitutes a lawful arrest?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When removing someone from their home, what constitutes a lawful arrest?

Police officers came to my house responding to a noise complaint. After taking a statement from my husband, the officer asked me if I had hit my husband while he was sleeping. I responded with no, that I shoved him to wake him up. The officer then asked me to step out of the house. I said no and asked why. He proceeded to reach into the house, grab me by my arm and attempt to remove me from my residence. I pulled my arm back but was then rushed in on by 2 officers and was arrested in my house. Was it legal for the officer to reach in and attempt to remove me even after I had asked why they wanted me to step out of my house?

Asked on July 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal counsel. There are a lot of "don'ts" here , so to speak.  The police generally need a warrant to arrest you inside your home so that is why they asked you to step outside.  His grabbling you to pull you there was obviously improper but I bet may be spun by the police as "resisting arrest." Please get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption