If the police asked me to come to the station to give statement but won’t tell me what it is about, canI decline?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the police asked me to come to the station to give statement but won’t tell me what it is about, canI decline?

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can decline their "offer". You do not have to appear at the police station if you choose not to. Whatever you do, under no circumstances should you go to speak with the police without having an attorney with you. This is true no matter how innocent you are. The fact is that you could say something incriminating about yourself (or others) regarding the incident being investigated. 

You are under no obligation to speak to the police. That's true, even if they come to your home. If you speak to them without having a lawyer to protect your interests, it is to their benefit. They will try to get you to implicate yourself. Therefore, no matter how friendly they may appear or no matter how intimidating they may seem, do not speak to them without legal representation. 

At this point you need to contact a criminal defense lawyer in your area ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption