UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My sister is controlling every aspect of my parents lives. She says she has a POA
but I haven’t seen it and even if she does can I do anything to fight it? She is
controlling the financial and medical issues . She even controls how often I can
call or visit

Asked on February 23, 2018 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your parents are mentally competent, there is nothing you can do: mentally competent adults can let others run their lives or take advantage of them, and even if doing so is a bad decision, it is their decision to make. If you believe they are not mentally competent (and that there is reliable medical evidence of their incompetence, such as the opinions of doctors treating them), you could bring a legal action to have them officially declared incompetent and a legal guardian appointed for them. In that legal action, you could also present evidence that your sister is not a suitable guardian. Such a legal action can be complex and difficult: if you want to consider it, consult with an elder law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption