How can I get the excess amount that I mistakenly paid on my rent back?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get the excess amount that I mistakenly paid on my rent back?

I have been staying in a rental apartment on lease for 4 years. The basic rent as per lease is $805 and for each carport its additional $20, means total rent is $825. But I have been writing checks for $845 when I had rented 1 carport and $865 when I rented 2 carports. On checking the lease details I realized I have been paying excess rent for awhile. I never received any notification from the management office about excess rent. I have to get the credit of all excess amouts paid. Also while re-signing the lease I signed on the amout of $845 instead of $825.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you have been overpaying on your rent for the place that you are occupying for the past four (4) years or so, you need to write your landlord about the situation requesting that you be given a credit for the overpayments on your next rental payment. Keep a copy of the letter sent to the landlord for future reference.

If you do not get the response that you expect, your next recourse is to ask for a face to face meeting with the landlord about the overpayment in an attempt to resolve the dispute. If the face to face meeting request does not solve the problem, small claims court is your next alternative.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption