If I pled guilty to a misdemeanor, can I get it expunged?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I pled guilty to a misdemeanor, can I get it expunged?

I plead guilty to the misdemeanor “resisting without violence” 5 years ago in FL. Can I get this either sealed, expunged, or overturned? I was fined $266 and was arrested because a concert I was playing was shut down and I was loading my equipment out and apparently was supposed to know I could not do that.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a misdemeanor criminal conviction upon your permanent record dating 5 plus years ago, there is a possibility that you can get it expunged (eliminated).

In order to do so, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney experienced with expunging convictions. Not all motions seeking the expungement are granted. The court looks at the age of the conviction, the purpose of the expungement, the crime that the person was convicted, and what the person has done since. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption