Placing GPS Tracker on outside of car legality

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Placing GPS Tracker on outside of car legality

Regarding new Oregon law on placing gps
tracking device on car without persons

What if car is parked in public place when
tracking device is placed on outside of car
under rear bumper without their knowledge? Is
this still prosecutable even though this same
information can be obtained by simply following
car? I dont have a restraining order or
stalking order on me. Info is not going to be
used for anything other than just curiosity for

Asked on June 23, 2019 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under Oregon law (see citation below) even if you are not a stalker or not under a restaining order, it is still a class A misdemeanor to attach a tracking device to someone's car without their permisson, and punishable by up to 12 months in jail and fine of up to several thousand dollars.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption