If a pink notice was left at my house instructing me to pick up legal papers at sheriff’s office, what do I do?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a pink notice was left at my house instructing me to pick up legal papers at sheriff’s office, what do I do?

This is for a collection agent for a visa card. Does not picking up the summons put if off or do I just need to go pick it up?

Asked on April 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Not picking it up will not help your cause because in most situations delivery is effective upon mailing to a legally given address for the consumer. At this point, if you know you owe monies, you may wish to pick up the document and begin the process of negotiating the debt so a court hearing is not necessary. You may also wish to contact the orignal creditor and see if this is something you can negotiate directly. Either way, keep accurate records of communications, agreements and payments. Order copies of your credit report from all three credit reporting agencies, which means you can get one each year for free from all three companies. See if the debt or collection is on there and begin the process to also have it removed as a tradeline.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption