Can my ex-wife demand that I remove pictures of my children from my website?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-wife demand that I remove pictures of my children from my website?

My ex-spouse is demanding the immediate removal of pictures of our children from my website. The pictures themselves are benign and typical. All pictures reflect kids under the age of 10. None of the pictures could possibly be conveyed as explicit. The ex-spouse possesses custody; I have right to visitation 1 weekend per month. I will remove them if necessary. Do I have to?

Asked on April 11, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Legally, as the children's parent with (presumably) still-intact parental rights, you have the right to post their pictures, so long as they are not explicit or run afoul of any related laws. That said, you probably should comply with your ex-wife's wishes:

1) Even though so many peopl do it, it can be dangerous to post your children's photos online--that is one place where various types of predators can see them and become aware of them.

2) If the pictures cause any trouble, or if your judgment is off and there is, even w/innocent intent, anything objectionable or improper about them, you ex-spouse may be able to use that against you legally.

3) You and the ex have to interact at least 1 weekend a month, plus whatever economic (e.g. support) interaction you have--why make that interaction more painful or contentitious,  by conflicting with her over online photos?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption