What can I do if my personnel files

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my personnel files

The company I work for fired the assistant supervisor. When she left, she failed to return a flash drive that contained personnel files including copies of SSN cards and photo ID amongst other documents for all the employees under her supervision. When asking our regional manager what is being done, they shrugged it off. I also emailed the regional manager about my concerns and have yet to even be acknowledged that I sent her an email. On top of this, the company has yet to actually notify any of us that this information was never returned. From what I have gathered I don’t have much legal pull but I need to know what course of action I have as far as legal options.

Asked on May 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you have no rights in this matter. That is unless at some future point you suffer harm as a result of all of this. Under the law, unless you suffer damages, you have no cause of action for something such as this. Possibly, you employer can sign you all up for a year or so with a credit monitoring system in case your SSN's are used for fraudulent purposes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption