personal representatives

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

personal representatives

if someone is listed in a will as P.R. can they come into a bank and close out all the accounts with out going to a court house to obtain any other legal papers

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Estate Planning, North Dakota


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

if the person was listed on the accounts with the deceased individual they have a right to do as they please with the accounts, although if the will specifically says otherwise its at least an issue to contest during probate

if the account was not joint a bank or any other financial institution should not have done anything without a letter testamentary which states the court probated the will and the individual is entitled to that account and the funds.

If this is the the case you may want to contact a local attorney, explain the situaion and see what at this point you will need to do to make the situation right. good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption