What can I do if person who hit my car refuses to provide insurance info?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if person who hit my car refuses to provide insurance info?

The person who backed into my brand new car claimed he would fix it out of pocket. I only got his name, telephone number for his business he owns, and his address. He is a prominent member of the community so, unfortunately, I trusted him. He is giving me the run around so I called my insurance company to ask them to try and get his insurance information. He refuses to give his insurance information. I received a letter from this person’s lawyer stating he would pay my estimates but he included an NDA that basically says if I mention anything about the accident they will sue me for the money back and they can sue me for anything I have equity in. As the victim here, I think this is total nonsense. Is there anything I can do to get his insurance info to file a claim with his company?

Asked on May 26, 2017 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

People focus too much on the other driver's insurer. Remember: even if you filed a claim with the other insurer, they do NOT have to pay you--them paying you is voluntary on their part unless and until you sue the driver in court and win, getting a judgment requiring payment. 
Your recourse is to sue the at-fault driver, since he is the one who is liable--and based on what you write, him backing into your car would make him at fault--for your damages and costs. Let his lawyer know that you will NOT sign the requested NDA or any NDA and that if while you would prefer to resolve this without litigation, you will sue if necessary. Given them a reasonable time to agree to pay without the NDA (maybe 10 business days) and, if they won't make you a reasonable "no strings" offer, file your lawsuit. (The NDA you describe an easily be abused by the other side and you could be readily sued; do NOT sign anything like it.) Send your communications in writing, sent some way or ways you can prove delivery.
If the amount if less than the limit for small claims court, file in small claims, as your own attorney or "pro se" and to minimize costs and expedite matters (small claims court is faster than other courts). Even if the damage is a bit more than the small claims  limit, you are probably better off giving up any amounts over small claims, to keep the case in small claims court.
Remember that if you do sue, you will need evidence: e.g. repair estimates; an accident report; possibly witness testimony regarding the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption