pension benefits, in 2 plans , same industry

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

pension benefits, in 2 plans , same industry

I am vested union pension member in National Maritime Union ( now administered by Seamans international Union after merger). I also am a vested pension member of American Maritime Officers Union. Is my time from one union accreditable to other as far as pension time is concerned. Both are same industry.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like two different unions, with two different pensions.  If there is any way to credit the time for one over to the other as well, it would have to be either in the union CBA's or in the pension plans.

I doubt that this is how it works;  it might take a few hours of reading a fair amount of "fine print" to be sure.  If you want to go further with this, to get advice you can rely on, you need to get all the facts, including the documents, to an attorney in your area.  One place you can find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption