Pedestrian vs. motor vehicle accident. Missed work.

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Pedestrian vs. motor vehicle accident. Missed work.

Is driver’s insurance liable for COBRA coverage costs? Drivers’ insurance company is claiming 85% liability. My insurance (PIP coverage) is assisting with lost wages and more. I need to know if the driver’s insurance needs to cover the costs of COBRA since I have been out of work long enough to require it to remain covered for health insurance.

Asked on April 14, 2009 under Personal Injury, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I sure hope you have a lawyer.

The extent of liability is always a matter of controversy, and if they say they admit 85% you're probably blameless.

You are entitled to pro-rata damages for the injury to the extent that the other driver is more negligent than you were.

One element of damages is the inability to work and earn a living and the benefits that go with it. So they don't pay for COBRA per se, but the cost of COBRA would be part of the damages your lawyer will seek on your behalf. If you don't have a lawyer, go to and get one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption