What to do when a pedestrian is hit by motor vehicle in a crosswalk?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do when a pedestrian is hit by motor vehicle in a crosswalk?

I live in Iowa. I was running east and I entered a crosswalk when the northbound traffic light was yellow. This crosswalk also has a pedestrian traffic control signal. I was struck by a southbound vehicle. Will I be liable for the vehicle’s damage?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Accident Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If under the circumstances (e.g. the lights and traffic signals) you were negligent, or unreasonably careless, you might be liable for damage to the car and would also have difficulty recovering for your own injuries. Running across a street when the light for that street is yellow is probably negligent--yellow means cars may still legally pass through the intersection. Therefore, from what you write, you could potentially face liability and/or an impediment to your own ability to recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption