What will happen if I stop paying payday loans?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I stop paying payday loans?

Through bad planning and stupidity on my part I have 2 payday loans that I have been paying on for over a year. The interest alone on theses has kept me from being able to pay them off. Because of this my household bills are falling and have fallen behind. If I close my bank account, what legal ramifications might I expect?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Potentially under the laws of the state that you reside in, the pay day loan's interest may be in violation of your state's usury laws for charging too high of an interest rate. If so, then under the laws of many states the result is that you have an interest free loan. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you.

If you fail to make payments on these loans, there is a very good chance that a demand letter will  be sent to you seeking payment and if you fail to resume payments, a lawsuit could very well be filed against you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption