pay the repair bill

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

pay the repair bill

Several weeks ago, my wife reared neighbor’s car and at that time we gave them our insurance card and asked them to contact insurance. New Link Destination
day, the neighbor reached to us and gave us a bill they got from lease car company. He said they leased car and had no time to contact insurance company. They returned the car and leased car company sent them a bill of $1400. They

wanted us to pay the bill. In this case, is this their responsibility to reach insurance to file a claim? If they choose not to do so, do we have the responsibility to pay the bill?

Asked on September 9, 2016 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Someone whose vehicle is damaged by  a person who was driving negligently or unreasonably carlessly (and the law considers it negligent to rear-end another car, since you are expected to maintain a safe following distance and pay sufficient attention to brake in time) is *not* required to file an insurance claim or submit the claim to their insurer. Rather, they are allowed to seek compensation directly from the at fault driver (the driver who rear-ended them), who is liable (or financially responsible) for all the damage they do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption