pay scales

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

pay scales

i am a long term employee who has just been informed that i have ‘topped out’ in pay scale. this only affects long term employees
and there by ‘older employees, i will be 57 soon. now the company has decided to ‘give’ me a 500.00 check , but that is not affected by overtime of which there is plenty of. i am in Ohio,is this legal?
what are my options?

Asked on March 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This is legal and not age discrimination. First, bear in mind that there is NO obligation to *ever* provide raises--you can be paid the same thing, without even adjustment for inflation, after 40 years on the job as you were after your very first 40 hours. Since there is no obligation to provide a raise, there is generally no claim for your compensation "topping out" so that you don't get any.
Second, there is a valid purpose behind this: cost containment for a company, to keep salaries/wages from increasing indefinitely. That is only effects older employees does not make it discriminatory, since the purpose is a legitimate, non-discriminatory one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption