What to do about part-time employee discrimination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about part-time employee discrimination?

I have worked part time at my job for 2 years and prior to that was a full-time employee. I recently have been given no shifts for the past few weeks and when I asked why, their response was that they give preferential treatment/priority to full-time employees and I can try to pick up shifts if I want to continue working. Is this discrimination?/can I do anything about it?

Asked on November 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Legally actionable discrimination has to do with lesser treatment being received due to a person's race, religion, gender, nationality, disabiltiy or age (over 40). It does not include an employee's work status. In other words, part-time wotkers can be treated differently than full-time workers. Bottom line, absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, a business can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption