Parents house and unsure eminent domain status

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Parents house and unsure eminent domain status

My parents own their home no mortgage, and they were informed several years ago
that their township intends to redevelop their neighborhood and take their home
by eminent domain. However, there is absolutely no timeline for this process. It
could be another year, another decade, or never. If my parents were to
unexpectedly pass away, and assuming I am the executor of their estate, what
would be the next step in dealing with the property? I assume potential eminent
domain seizure must be disclosed and would scare off buyers.

Asked on April 17, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, since this is a material, or important issue, affecting the property and known to you, you would have to disclose it--a failure to do would be fraud. As a practical matter, you'd need to reduce the cost enough to get someone to be wiling to take a chance on buying the property (after all, it may be years before development, or the town may never actually redevelop), or see if you can sell it to the town now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption