If parent took out student loans in my name to pay personal bills but not doesn’t want to pay for it, what do I do?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If parent took out student loans in my name to pay personal bills but not doesn’t want to pay for it, what do I do?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your parent took out student loans in your name but refuses to pay off the loans taken, then you need to have a face to face meeting with the parent about the need to honor his or her contractual obligation. Failure to do so could very well result in damage to your credit rating.

If the parent refuses to pay the loans that are in your name, you in order to protect your credit rating will ultimately have to pay off the bills and seek reimbursement from the parent voluntarily or through a legal action. The loan that the parent took out in your name could be deemed a fraudulent transaction getting the parent possibly into deeper trouble than if the parent simply decided to begin paying off the loans.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption