Paid Leave

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Paid Leave

Currently I am on paid leave waiting to hear several concerns that I brought to Human resources about the behavior n the office, I have been on leave since October 10th. The communication has been non-existent except for yesterday they asked for more information about certain concerns. I am wondering if I should have representation?

Asked on October 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have a written employment (including union or collective bargaining) contract giving you rights (e.g. to a hearing or certain procedural protections; or to only be disciplined after warnings or for certain things, etc.), you are an employee at will and may be terminated--or suspended; furloughed; demoted; pay or hours cut; etc.--at any time, for any reason. Without the protection of a contract, you may be put on leave indefinitely, for any reason, and have no right to force them to make a decision, resolve your status, put you back on work, etc. At some point (which unfortunately is not actually defined specifically), if you are out indefiniely and have no indication of when or if you will work again, you could likely consider yourself fired and apply for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption