PA Divorce/Spousal Support

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

PA Divorce/Spousal Support

My husband and I separated a month ago. It was his idea and a week ago he moved is new girlfriend into our apartment. I am pushing for a separation agreement, but he keeps holding spousal support over my head. Is there any way to avoiding paying out? I make approximately 3x what he does.

Asked on September 24, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  The entire facts of your case will determine if spousal support is deemed necessary by the court.  There is temporary (pendente lite) support during the pendency of the action as well as after the divorce is final. There are guidelines used by the court.  In fact, there are 17 factors.  But understand that there is no entitlement to alimony in PA.  It is discretionary by the court.  That is why the factors are so important.  Go for a legal consultation asap.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption