Owning a house while we are unmarried.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Owning a house while we are unmarried.

Me and my fianc currently own a house. We are both on the mortgage as rights of survivorship and we are both on the house deed. We are more than likely going to go separate ways. I did not want to be on the mortgage in the beginning, but he convinced me since he was unable to qualify by himself. Now he seems to think since its his house since he says he is the owner and he wants me to move out stating I am just a co-owner and he put more money into the house. What are my rights? He did put most of the money into the house but I do contribute a smaller amount to the mortgage monthly and my family did give him about 9k in the beginning towards the house.

Asked on August 27, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are both on the deed, you are both owners: period. IF he did contribute more than you, that does not mean that he is sole owner; one owner contributing less does not lose her ownership or other rights. If the house were sold and the matter went to court about who should receive how much of the proceeds, it is likely that a court would give the person who provably contributed more a larger share of the proceeds; therefore, you may wish to try to negotiate a "buy out" on that basis, taking into account relative contributions. But as a basic position, you are an owner if you are on the deed, and therefore have right to live in, use, etc. the house, and to a fair share of the proceeds from any sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption