Who gets the ownersip of a spouse’s vehicle in the event of their death?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who gets the ownersip of a spouse’s vehicle in the event of their death?

My spouse is deceased and he has 2 joint automobile loans with someone else that will be paid off under the credit life insurance coverage. Who will gets ownership of the vehicles?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your spouse.

If your spouse left a Will, the Will will be controlling as to determining the beneficiary or beneficiaries who inherit the vehicles.

If your spouse did not leave a Will, the rules of intestate succession will determine inheritance.  Intestate means dying without a Will.  Under intestate succession, if there is a surviving spouse as in your case, you will inherit the vehicles.  If there had not been a surviving spouse, the vehicles would go to the deceased spouse's children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption