What can I do if the owner of our rental is using the garage as a storage building and is refusing to remove their things?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the owner of our rental is using the garage as a storage building and is refusing to remove their things?

We have been renting for 3 months but have not moved in yet. I live 500 miles

away and am in the process of moving in 2 weeks. In the lease, we have the

home and garage; no where in the lease does it state that he is using garage

for storage. His response is that 1 stall of the garage is more than sufficient and he will not move anything anytime soon. What can I do legally?

Asked on May 31, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could do either of the following:
1) Use his stated intention to breach or violate the lease by not giving you all the space you are paying for (his "anticipatory breach") as grounds to terminate the lease, not move in, and not pay for the space; this, however, may not be a satisfactory solution if you need to move and have no where else to go or put your belongings.
2) Move in, but then at at some point sue your landlord for "breach of contract" for not providing all the agreed-upon space (i.e the full garage) to recover an amount of compensation equivalent to the rental value of that portion of the space denied you.
If interested in compensation, rather than getting out of the lease, try to see if you can negotiate some credit or reduction in rent for not having the full garage with your landlord: a voluntary resolution is always better than litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption