What recourse do I have if my former employer isbad-mouthing me to my business contacts?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have if my former employer isbad-mouthing me to my business contacts?

Dear (BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL NAME), I am writing to inform you that Mr. (MY NAME) is no longer associated or representing (COMPANY NAME), LLC, as of June 7, 2011. I also understand that a relationship with you and your organization was initially established while he was associated with (COMPANY NAME), LLC and as such, and as the President & CEO, I am offering the full services and support of (COMPANY NAME), LLC, if you so choose. Although I wish (MY NAME) the best of success in his future endeavors, please be advised that the discontinuation of (MY NAME) association was not an amicable one. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Should I speak with a business law attorney regarding this? In Washington County, OR.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may have no recourse.

People are allowed to make true factual statements to others, even if they hurt a person. They may also state opinons to others, even if harmful. The other thing that they may not do is make negative false factual statements to third parties--that might be defamation. If it is true that you are no longer associated with the company and that  the separation from that company was not an amicable one, you would have no resource against them. Arguably, even if you felt the separation was amicable, since whether something is "amicable" or not is largely a matter of perception or opinion, you would probably not have any recourse. If they state something definitively factually untrue, then you'd have a cause of action. It's always worth consulting with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation in details--many attorneys will provide a free initial consultation--but there may be nothing to do in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption