What can we do to get money owed to us?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do to get money owed to us?

We have a granite company that we did business with and they owe us $80 for

something we purchased but which they did not deliver. Now I know this is

not a large amount of money, however it is our money and they have promised to refund it but they have not paid. We turned it over to our local BBB and they

again promised to refund the $80 but again did not fulfill that promise. So we

reopened our case yet they are ignoring all requests. It has become principal

and we would like to know if there is anything that we can do? I have receipts and text messages as well as BBB report stating they would give us our refund.

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only thing you can due is sue them for it and that is not cost effective. While you *could* recover the filing fee as well as the $80:
1) If your company is an LLC or a corporation, you must have an attorney (only lawyers can represent LLCs and corporations) and you will spend more--much more--on the lawyer than you are suing for, since you cannot get the attorney's fee from the other side.
2) Even if you are not an LLC or corporation (i.e. it's a sole proprietorship, so the owner/proprietor can represent him/herself in court) and you sue in small claims court, is it worth the owner taking a day off from work to sue for $80?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption