Overtime Pay

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Overtime Pay

I am working for a U.S. contracting company providing maintenance to the U.S. Military overseas. We are specifically working on a U.S. Army Camp in South Korea. Is it legal for the company to force its workers to work 68 hours per week,12 Monday thru Friday, and 8 on Saturday with straight pay?

Asked on August 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Labor laws are local: you are covered by the labor laws of the state or, in this case, country in which you work, regardless of where your pay comes from or where you pay taxes, unless you have a written employment contract which by its terms specifies that you are under a different country's (e.g. the U.S.'s) laws. Therefore, in the absence of such a contract, you are covered by Korean labor laws, and need to consult a Korean attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption