UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


If an employer schedules you to work 7 or 9 days straight 8 hours a day, are they required to pay you overtime after the 6th day? Also, what if the days are not in the same week (e.g. they schedule you to work Tuesday Monday or Tuesday-Thursday of the following week).

Asked on August 30, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In CA, you are entitled overtime when:
1) Working more than 40 hours in a single workweek;
2) Working more than 8 hours in a single workday; or
3) On the 7th consecutive day of work in a single workweek.
So if, for example, you work 9 days straight, 8 hours each day, 5 days in week 1 and 4 days in work 2 (e.g. Tuesday to Sunday, then Sunday to Wednesday), you would not get overtime. But if you worked 7 days in week 1 and 2 days in week 2 (e.g. Sunday to Saturday, then Sunday and Monday), the 7th day in week 1 would be at the overtime rate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption