What are our rights if our used car was totaled 6 days after its purchase?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if our used car was totaled 6 days after its purchase?

We never titled the car in our own name since we only owned it 6 days and we had already settled with the other insurer; they paid us and took possession of the car. It has been 7 months and now I get a packet in the mail stating the insurance company who paid me wants me to title the car in our name thus costing me more money. Legally do I have too or can I tell them tough and you pay for it?

Asked on January 23, 2014 under Accident Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if you had purchased it, it *should* have been titled in your name as of the moment of purchase, so yes, they can require you to do this, so that you--and not they--incur any additional costs or expenses in relation to it. If you refuse to, they will likely be able to take legal action against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption