What to do if our son’s 8 year old friend drove our go-kart into the neighbor’s entrance gate and caused $2500 in damage?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our son’s 8 year old friend drove our go-kart into the neighbor’s entrance gate and caused $2500 in damage?

My wife called the boys father to get his permission prior to operating the go-kart. He gave permission as well as stating he knows how to operate one as he has one at home. Who is responsible for paying for damage?

Asked on October 14, 2013 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

As the owners of the go-kart, you and your wife would be liable for the damage to the neighbor's entrance gate.  The go-kart was driven by an eight-year-old with your wife's consent.

Most likely, you and your wife will have to pay the $2500 damage out of pocket unless there is some applicable insurance policy for use of the go-kart.  Even if there is an applicable insurance policy, the insurance company may deny your claim because the go-kart was driven by a child with your wife's consent.  If the case is not settled, you and your wife as the owners of the go-kart, could be sued for negligence by the owner of the damaged entrance gate.  The statements from the kid's father on which your wife relied, are not going to relieve her of liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption