Can an employer not pay me for time worked?

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer not pay me for time worked?

Is it legal for an office to have a policy that if you forget to clock out, you have only 24 hours to correct the mistake or not be paid? What should be included in a written request for payment of hours worked and not paid? How should I document the written request?

Asked on March 31, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Employers must pay hourly employees for all time worked--period, end of sentence. The employer cannot refuse to pay if the employee forgets to clock out. Obviously, if the employee forgets to clock out, there may be an issue about establishing or proving the hours worked; however, if the employee can in fact substantiate them, then he or she must be paid, and the employer cannot be an arbitrary 24-hour limit on getting paid.

All that said, when possible, it's better to work with an employer's policies then fight them. If you have 24 hours, best to get your request in within 24 hours. Put in any and all information and evidence that would establish when your worked and when you left. Send the request ideally by someway you can prove sending and, ideally, delivery, such as email (especially with notification of receipt) or by fax (and keep the status sheet).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption