Our landlord failed to give us a proper receipt of payment of security deposits?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Our landlord failed to give us a proper receipt of payment of security deposits?

We have his signature on our lease saying we paid it, but he never gave us a receipt of where it is being held. What actions should be taken?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your written lease with your landlord for the rented unit in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. If the written lease states specifically where the landlord is to deposit you security deposit or a receipt where it is being held, then he or she needs to provide such to you.

Hopefully you paid the required security deposit via a check instead of cash.

If the lease does not provide a requirement that the landlord advise you where the security deposit is being placed, custom and practice in the rental industry is that the landlord deposited the check in his or her operating account for the rental.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption