What to do if our house was under contract to sell but my husband died before the sale was closed?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our house was under contract to sell but my husband died before the sale was closed?

I have a Power of Attorney for my husband regarding the sale of the house, and a durable POA. I still want to sell the house, and the rest of the family agrees that I should. Is there a way to still sell the house without huge delays?

Asked on June 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  First understand that a Power of Attorney is no linger valid now that your husband has passed. But if you held the house with rights of survivorship (which is generally how spouses hold a property) then the property passed to you automatically at the time of his death and you should be able to go through with the sale with a little modification of the contract should the buyers still wish to purchase and you wish to sell. Speak with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption