If our house is worth half of what we owe due to economy, how do we sell cause we need to move?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our house is worth half of what we owe due to economy, how do we sell cause we need to move?

Husband bought the house before we got married. We now have two kids and not enough room. We are currently haven’t family issues with being so close to in-laws and we need to move! What are our options? (House was bought in 2005 for $140K, market says roughly $80. We owe $125K ish)

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can continue making the payments on this property and afford to buy another home that is bigger, I recommend that you rent out the home you are writing about. If you cannot afford a new home and the one you are writing about, you should consult a real estate agent as to the practicalities of doing a short sale of the home.

You need to be very careful in a short sale situation that if you sell the home for less than is owing on the loan that you are not responsible fo any shortage.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption