If our home went up for unpaid real estate tax auction last week, do we have a year to reclaim the house by paying the taxes and expenses?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our home went up for unpaid real estate tax auction last week, do we have a year to reclaim the house by paying the taxes and expenses?

A real estate agent told our pastor that we have a year to reclaim the property. We were given a vacate notice and have tried to reach the company that purchased the property. A lawyer talked to them today and said they would work with us to give us more time, etc but they don’t rent back. The property went to settlement but no one has contacted us about our share of the settlement money less the fees and liens that were on the property.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you are referring to is a right of redemption, which is the right to re-purchase your property back after sale.  In Virginia there is no right of redemption in a non-judicial foreclosure but there is in certain judicial foreclosure proceedings.  Then you have eight months I believe after the foreclosure to redeem the property.  Did the attorney that helped you give you the information on the status of the foreclosure and the type?  You need this information to negotiate anything here.  And yo should be getting information as to the amount of money that is left over  - the surplus - after all the encumbrances have been paid because yes, you should be entitled to it.  The attorney needs to write a lot of letters now.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption