If our home was vandalizedand a police report was made but I subsequently found out who did it, now what ifI now don’tto press charges?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our home was vandalizedand a police report was made but I subsequently found out who did it, now what ifI now don’tto press charges?

They confessed to me and want to pay damages. The damages include: broken windows, ruined sofas and carpeting, stained walls, and a huge hole in some sheet-rocking. Our laptop was stolen, as well as our PS3 and all its games. It seems that our house was used to host a party of teenagers, that being how we were able to track down the person. Pizzas were ordered and delivered to our address, leaving a date/time of the incident, as well as a phone number to another person in attendance. Unfortunately, we don’t have renter’s insurance, so we need compensation. Nevertheless, I don’t want a person spend the rest of their youth in a jail cell.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is too late not to press charges because at this point a crime had occurred and it is up to the prosecutor to cut a deal or not. If you attempt to interfere with an investigation or you hold information that could help the police resolve this and solve this crime, you must report it or you can face hot water for contributing after the crime occurred. You can still sue this person and if this person was a minor, his or her parents but ultimately you need to report this person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption