What to do if our downstairs neighbor wants us to pay her $8000 in repairs due toa tile that we put in above her?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our downstairs neighbor wants us to pay her $8000 in repairs due toa tile that we put in above her?

I recently put tile in on our second level condo. Now our downstairs neighbor is claiming that her ceiling si breaking and is blaming us. She wants us to pay to fix it. Does her claim have any baring?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you cause damage to another's property, you can be liable for the cost to repair the damage. So the key factual issues are:

1) Did you installation of the tile actually cause the damage or not?

2) What is the actual cost of the repairs--the neighbor can't use this as an opportunity to upgrade, renovate, or remodel; even if you are liable, you would only be liable for the actual cost to repair.

So legally, you could be responsible; but the facts are critical to determine both the existence of and the extent of liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption