If our landlord requires us to have renter’s insurance, must we provide the details of the policy or just proof of coverage?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our landlord requires us to have renter’s insurance, must we provide the details of the policy or just proof of coverage?

Three of our neighbors have experienced break-ins over the past several months and our landlord is requiring them to pay for the damage to the units. His character makes me unwilling to provide the details of our insurance policy. Being that we are in compliance with his requirements, while we search for a new residence to call “home,” may we provide a censored version of our policy which would merely display the fact that we’re covered or would that be a breach of the requirements? Also, we seem to be the only ones required to have a policy. Previous/post tenants were never told to have one.

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Proof of insurance is enough.  Renter's insurance doesn't cover damage to the structure like the window....it covers contents.  Its purpose is to insure your valuables.  Landlords like renter's insurance because it makes them avoid any liability that may occur due to their negligence in providing adequate security. 

Your landlord is not acting normally.  The renter's insurance policy isn't there for him, it's there for the renters.  He should have his own homeowner's policy to cover the damage.  I would show him proof of insurance (without any details) and contact the insurance company yourself and tell them not to accept a claim from him.  You may also want to contact the district attorney's office if he is attempting to commit insurance fraud. 

Find a new landlord as quick as possible and good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption