If our business is being wrongfully sued, can we counter sue to get back our time and legal fees?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our business is being wrongfully sued, can we counter sue to get back our time and legal fees?

A lady went crazy on our staff and then sued us saying she wants money from us for services she didn’t get. She did get the services and we can prove that she even got one more session than paid for. It has cost us a couple thousand so far and all the lawyer costs are not in. This doesn’t even take into account that it’s taken hours and hours working on this to prove that we did fulfill our end of the bargain. We go to court this week and expect the judge to through it out.

Asked on June 10, 2019 under Business Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can try to countersue for "frivolous litigation" (your state might use a slightly different name for it), which is a suit based on the other side bringing a lawsuit that has NO validity whatsoever to it. But be advised that this suit almost never works--if there is even the faintest support for the legal action (e.g. the woman thought honestly, even if completely incorrectly, that she was owed money or services), the court will deny your claim. Courts do this because the law believes that to allow someone to be penalized for bringing a suit, except in the most extreme and egregious of cases, will deter people from trying to enforce their legal rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption