What are our rights regardig water damage and mold in our apartment?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights regardig water damage and mold in our apartment?

Our apartment building was struck by lightning about 5 months ago, which destroyed the eaves outside of our bedroom window. Water damage and mold ensued shortly thereafter. When we noticed the problem, we have attempted multiple times to get our apartment managers to resolve the water damage and mold that had occurred. The eaves have been fixed, likely due to a code violation that was issued to the apartment complex, however to this day, they have not fixed the mold and water damage in the apartment. We have signed a mold addendum with the apartment complex on our lease and per its stipulations, we have notified them in writing 3 months agoand have a copy of the letter which was signed by the apartment manager.

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Then go to landlord tenant court and ask to start an action for a breach of the warranty of habitability.  Ask the court to allow you to pay your rent in to court until the matter is taken care of and for an abatement (reduction) of the rent.  The court will make sure it is taken care of and if it is not, you can request that the lease agreement be voided.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption