Other than moving the fence, what are my options to resolve a fence encroachment on my neighbors property?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Other than moving the fence, what are my options to resolve a fence encroachment on my neighbors property?

My HOA recently surveyed all the homes in my adddition and it was found that my fence and some landscaping is indeed on my neighbor’s property. My neighbor and I are not at odds and she actually believed that the survey was wrong, but it has been double-checked. The fence has been up for about 2 years. My questions are: 1) Does my HOA really have any say? Shouldn’t this be between my neighbor and me? 2) What are my options – can I buy the little strip of land from my neighbor? 3) I have attempted to contact the fence builder, but I fear he may have gone out of business.

Asked on September 4, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should really consult with an attorney in your area when there is a HOA involved (and rules and rules and rules).  Generally I think that your idea to purchase the strip of land from her if you and she can agree to it is fine.  If you pay dues, however, based upon your ownership then that issue will need to be addressed and the deeds should be redone and recorded to reflect the new boundaries for future sales and to make sure that there are no future disputes.  You will probably have to get the approval of the HOA as well so that is an obstacle to overcome.  But they can not unreasonably withhold the request.  And if they try to, then you have the option to take them to court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption