Other party will not agree to a divorce

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Other party will not agree to a divorce

We have been together from 1980 to present ,,,,have 3 adult children and 10 rental
property’s . Not a lot of cash husband has not work in 15 years….try of a one sided

Asked on January 21, 2017 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While its easier, faster, cheaper, and less acrimonious if your husband agrees to a divorce, you don't *need* his consent or agreement: he cannot keep you married against your will. You have the right to file a divorce case in family court and let the court grant you a divorce (and divide property; and possibly grant alimony/spousal support) over his objections. If you wish to do this, consult with a family or matrimonial/divorce law attorney; there are many who provide reasoanble rates, and with a substantial amount of assets (10 properties), you want a lawyer's help to not just navigate the court rules and procedures, but to also make sure you get your fair share.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption